Lots of different projects have been going on at the Creation Station lately. I have been experimenting with different kinds of crafting techniques, materials, textures, and colors. From infusing tequila to learning about varnish vs lacquer vs polyurethane vs shellac to refinishing furniture to dream catchers to covering books to experimenting with stencils to learning about wood burning; it sure has been busy! I will probably go into more detail about some of these projects at a later time, but here is a snapshot of what’s been going on around here…
– BEADING –
Experimenting with different colors, textures, and a nice long necklace that can be doubled up.
– DECORATING BLANK BOOKS –
I ordered a pack of three little notebooks with blank covers from online with the idea that I could customize them and give them as a gift. I painted two of them, and covered the third with some fancy, complimentary paper. I sprayed glossy finish on the painted ones. It was tricky getting the glue to a good consistency to apply the paper, and even then it still expanded and shrunk and the paper got wrinkly. I definitely need to experiment some more.
– WOOD CUTTING, SANDING, BURNING, AND FINISHING –
Wow, talk about delving into new territory. Obviously my family has a long history of working with wood, but I have not done much on my own, unsupervised. My partner and I came up with the following project in response for my mother’s request for “a piece of EmaBee’s art to go over the wood stove.” In brief:
- He cut a round from a fallen oak tree with a chainsaw, then used hand planers, palm sander, and sand paper to get it relatively smooth;
- I researched wood burning tools and decided I needed something heavy duty to work on hard wood and would have to shell out over $5o for a truly heavy duty wood burning tool. So I decided to get at $25 soldering iron. It ended up working pretty o.k.
- He worked up a good sweat using my family’s old hand planers to get it relatively smooth.
- We used shellac to seal and finish it because that was what was in the closet, but decided it probably would have been better to use polyurethane.
- We put it by the wood stove to dry, but it dried too fast and warped – will try to dry it slower, over time, in the future.
- Gave it to mom Christmas morning and she was thrilled!
– DREAM CATCHER –
This is the second dream catcher I have made recently, and this one I spent a good bit more time making the bottom tassels, and adding different items for more diverse textures. I strung beads and sequence on this one. I have to say that it was hard to let this one go!
– FINISHING ANTIQUE DRESSER –
My partner’s mom gave me this gorgeous antique dresser, but the original varnish was all bumpy like alligator scales, and was gummy in places. This is a longer story, but in short: I decided to remove the old varnish and see what the wood looked like underneath. It turned out to be veneer, which I stripped from the sides because it was in such poor condition. The front drawers I decided to paint, and the top I decided to sand completely smooth and finish as natural wood. I learned a lot, and might do things different in the future, but am so excited about how it turned out.
– INFUSED TEQUILA –
My partner and I have experimented a lot recently with infusing tequila with hot peppers from our garden. We’ve tried red and purple scorpion, habañero, jalapeño, and purple ghost. We made many many margaritas with this tequila, and gave it as gifts in a “spicy margarita pack” for Christmas. Once you go spicy you never go back…
Be sure to stay tuned for more notes from the Creation Station, and be sure to check out EmaBee’s Facebook for more photos from the creation station!